Monday, February 9, 2009

Fundamentos Training #2







February 4, 2009

Starting off the year with a bang… today I trained 36 teachers on the “Fundamentos Empresariales” program with assistance from my sitemate Andrea. I had been trying to get this training off the ground since last May when Carolyn helped me do one for 12 teachers in Rio Blanco. Fundamentos teaches 5th and 6th grade students basic business techniques: how to save, how to plan ahead, how to calculate your earnings. In training teachers and providing them with program materials and completed lesson plans, we hope that the program will reach many more children. Several of the teachers were very receptive, and Hugo my counterpart would like to tweak it a bit and use it for the basico (middle school) students as well.

On a side note, I am now teaching two classes of basico students the “Como Planear Mi Vida” (How to Plan My Life) program, with Hugo’s assistance, in the library on Wednesdays and Thursdays … although, true to Guatemalan form, the Thursday class has yet to show up. Como Planear Mi Vida teaches life skills and important topics such as self-esteem, planning ahead and sexual education. Hopefully, this will be helpful to the youth development volunteer who will be replacing me in July, opening up a few doors for them ahead of time.

No comments: