Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shrimp!


3/28/2008

If there was a theme to Livingston, I think it was food. I have recently developed an appreciation of seafood, and the ridiculous amounts of fish, shrimp, crab, lobster and other maritime critters being served put me on cloud nine. I’m learning to cook for myself here (I’ve got eggs, pasta and stir-fry down pat), but I’m finding it hard to be creative using the same ingredients every week and food is getting boring. As a result, I consumed an unhealthy amount of shrimp in Livingston, simply because I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it again anytime soon. I reminded my self of Bubba from Forest Gump because I was talking about shrimp so much. Jumbo shrimp, fried shrimp, lemon shrimp, garlic shrimp, shrimp ceviche…

My favorite restaurant there was Tilingo Lingo. A Mexican woman, who has lived pretty much everywhere in the world, including India, runs it, and, although she lacks a certain social finesse, cooks an amazing array of food. I think I licked my fingers and my plate clean. Laura made the winning selection, ordering tapado, the local speciality, a stew made from fish, shrimp, crab and coconut milk. While it looked a little unappetizing, a bowl of green broth with an entire fish garnishing the plate, the tapado stole the show.

No comments: